This activity is a vocabulary building activity for infants 9-12 months old. The book is simple to make insha'Allah.
- To make the book: Cut out poster board pages of the same size. (the example below is about 12 x 9 cm).
- Gather real-looking 3-D objects/or pictures to glue the pages (i.e. flower, car, sun, cloud, etc.). These can be found at a craft store and were about $.79 a piece. Glue them to the page using non-toxic glue insha'Allah. 3-D objects add a tactile experience to the activity.
- Print the Arabic (or English) names of each object in the right hand corner of the page.
- Leave the right hand page blank (or if you're doing it in English leave the left hand page blank). This is to allow the child to focus on one picture at a time and not have the picture on the opposite page competing for the child's attention.
- Punch holes in each page on the right hand side of the page (left hand side for English insha'Allah). You'll notice I put my holes on the wrong side...lol.
- Use metal binder rings to secure the pages together insha'Allah.
- Sit with your child next to you and turn to the first page. Point to the picture and softly say the name of the object in the picture (i.e. truck). Allow the child to touch the 3-D picture and take the book if he/she wishes. Simply take the book back when the child is done insha'Allah and continue to the next picture insha'Allah. Do this with every picture - touch it and softly say the name of the picture.
- As the child becomes more familiar with the book, talk about the pictures. What sound does it make (if any). Make the sound for the child. Where do you find this object?, etc.
- Change the pages often to maintain interest insha'Allah.