Saturday, August 28, 2010

Toddler Travel Activity Box

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Trips during Ramadan can be taxing on toddlers. So to help alleviate the strain I wanted to find a way toddlers can have fun learning on the way to various destinations insha'Allah.

So I made this portable toddler activity box:

To give you an idea of the size of this box, it was a soap box. It held two bars of soap.
It was covered with construction paper and decorations of choice were added.

But when the box is opened:

Out spill activities to be done in the car. There is a little book (there is nothing inside of it yet. I can't decide if I should do a little story or just leave it blank and include a crayon inside of the box); a little girl (she has a hijab that can be put on with velcro -not pictured); there is a felt prayer rug (a small teddy bear fits nicely onto the prayer rug), and a masjid threading activity.

This is a close-up of the masjid threading activity. I used yarn and a pipe cleaner for the 'needle' and 'thread'. I made mini masaajid (from cardboard for durability) and I punched a hole in each one. The child can thread the masaajid with the needle and thread. This is a fine motor skill activity that requires focus on the part of the child.

All of the activities cannot be removed from the box, therefore they can't be lost in the car. They are all attached to the inside of the box. To do this, I punched holes inside of the box and attached yarn, stretchy string (I forget the name of it...hehe), and ribbon. I then tied each activity to one of the strings.


After testing it out, so far, the prayer rug and the threading activity are most popular *smile*. Oh! To ensure the box holds up, I covered all sides with clear packing tape. This also made the box easier to open so toddler fingers have no problem getting inside insha'Allah.

Enjoy insha'Allah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In an effort to reduce the amount of spam comments left on the blog, Anonymous posting has been disabled. Insha'Allaah, this will not be inconvenient to any of the readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...