Alhamdulillaah, here are thirteen emergent readers to use when teaching young children to read.
- The text has repetitive patterns to help children work on fluency.
- The text is controlled and has repeated sight words to help children recognize these words quickly and accurately in shaa' Allaah.
- The print is large so children can easily recognize and read the individual words.
- There is increased space betweeen the words to help children see when one word ends and another begins.
- There is one sentence per page to help children focus on meaning and reading with accuracy.
- The pictures support reading. Children can look at the pictures to help them decode some words that may be unfamiliar.
- The worksheet for each book reinforces the concept covered in the book.
Additionally, the books are great for:
- Use in small group instruction or with one-on-one instruction.
- Helping children build a personal library.
- Silent sustained reading or D.E.A.R periods in the classroom.
- Helping children see their religion and themselves in literature; almost all of the books reinforce the concept of praising Allaah.
- Administering informal reading assessments.
You can download all of the books in one bundle here (the file is large; please be patient when downloading) or from A Muslim Child is Born's Teacher Notebook shop. You can also download the books, individually, below in shaa' Allaah. All books have a full colour front and back cover. The remaining pages are black and white, with the exception of two readers, which are in colour only.
Benefit and Enjoy in shaa' Allaah!
If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below, or if you would like to see an example of how to use an emergent reader, please download this sample lesson plan for the book Going to the Beach.