Monday, July 27, 2009

Ramadan Recipe # 2: Ramadan Cookie Card

Assalamu alaikum,

Yummy! Here is Ramadan recipe # 2: A Ramadan Cookie Card. It's the gift you can eat insha'Allah! I found this idea in a book called Bake it and Build It. Your toddler can have fun with the mixing and later decorating his/her Ramadan Cookie Card or you can make the cookie dough ahead of time, and let your little one cut out the shapes he/she would like to "glue" onto their card. After you bake the cookies and allow them to cool, invite your little one to "draw" their chosen Ramadan design onto their card using the icing. *Note: the icing is very sweet. I messed up when trying to draw on my cookie and I tried to eat my mistake but I couldn't do that too often. When/if your little one messes up, it may be a good idea to have a clean damp cloth available to wipe away the mistake insha'Allah. Also, if you don't have an cake decorating set you can pour the icing into a plastic sandwich bag and cut the tip off (be sure to cut very little of the tip off or the icing may come out faster than your little one prefers).

To make this edible Ramadan card all you need is basic sugar cookie dough, icing, and candy to decorate the cookie card insha'Allah.



As you can see from the picture below, my cookie...hmmm...came out....okaay alhamdulillah. The cookie is also 3-D because you can cut shapes out of the cookie dough and "glue" them onto the large cookie card using the icing! I used Smarties (M&M's in the U.S.) and I took a small amount of the icing and added green food colouring to make the masjid green. I also attempted (don't laugh) to make a new moon but as you can see...well....I tried...lol. I also wanted to attempt to write "Ramadan Mubarak" with the icing but....I broke the cookie! Oh well, I suppose there is nothing left to do but....eat the remains of what was once a 'Ramadan Cookie Card' in progress.

Either way, it was a lot of fun alhamdulillah and it took only about an hour for the whole process (but keep in mind that was because this was my test cookie and no children were involved in the process).

Definitely have your child wear an apron for this activity and you will need to assist if he/she wants to write something on the card (that requires developed fine motor skills). Maybe you can guide your child's hand as he/she writes "Ramadan Mubarak".

One last note: Be sure to let the large cookie (the card) cool completely before you attempt to move it. I broke mine that way because I was so excited to start decorating that I moved it prematurely. If you break the cookie you can use the icing to glue it back together again but as I mentioned earlier, I broke it a second time (after I had glued it back together), before I could write anything on it.

Once your little one is all done and the cookie has dried (the icing dries very hard alhamdulillah), all that is left to do is give the Ramadan Cookie Card to a family or friend insha'Allah. I wonder how many toddlers will allow that to happen ;) ...

Enjoy insha'Allah!


No comments:

Post a Comment

In an effort to reduce the amount of spam comments left on the blog, Anonymous posting has been disabled. Insha'Allaah, this will not be inconvenient to any of the readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...