Saturday, March 13, 2010

Miniature Felt Writing Notebooks

Assalamu alaikum,

Around 18 months of age toddlers begin to show an interest in writing, colouring, holding pencils, crayons, markers, etc. Observing that this has become a favourite pastime here, I decided to make some miniature writing notebooks to encourage this interest.

And I thought the ladybug phase had passed (smile)....

I was wrong. One of our books happened to have a picture of a ladybug/bird in it and that picture was enough to start the love of the ladybug all over again. Do you know how many times I heard the word ladybug that day? (smile) And please overlook the condition of our work table - it's been through play-dough, planting soil, spilled water, crayons, and other activities that contribute to its ever fading colour...lol.

This is the inside of the notebook

This is a prayer rug miniature notebook

the inside

All I used to make these was cardboard and felt cut to the pattern of the books.


I first cut two cardboard patterns out and then traced that pattern onto the felt. For the ladybug/bird, I used the hot glue gun to attach the dots and to glue the black and red body together. When it was assembled, I glued the felt ladybug to the first cardboard pattern for extra durability. I used the second cardboard ladybug cut-out for the back cover and cut a single sheet of computer paper into four circles. Then I stapled them to the back cover and then stapled the felt ladybug front cover to the pages and back cover. The staples are hidden under the ladybug's head for safety. I used pipe cleaner for the antennae and used my hot glue gun to attach them to the back cover of the book. I intentionally put the antennae right over the second set of staples (those that were visible from stapling the paper to the back cover) so that when I glued them on, the hot glue would cover the staples and the pointing parts would be hidden safely under the glob of hot glue (I hope that is clear as I was not able to take pictures of the step by step assembly). The process was roughly the same for the prayer rug book.

These little notebooks were immediately written in (and coloured in) and I even took some time to sit down and doodle too!  There are many ways you can be creative with these insha'Allah. Kindergarteners can cut out felt and design their own book covers if provided with cardboard patterns insha'Allah. These are fairly easy to assemble and there are many ways to personalize them as well.

Enjoy insha'Allah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In an effort to reduce the amount of spam comments left on the blog, Anonymous posting has been disabled. Insha'Allaah, this will not be inconvenient to any of the readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...