The next theme pack is about white, cold, and immensely fun snow!
Some of the activities included in this 54 page theme pack are:
- 3 emergent readers with activities
- Snow words word wall cards (saw this great idea here)
- Mini Pocket Chart Activity for 1 emergent reader
- Sentence building activity: two pages of words and an exclamation point for children to work on building sentences insha'Allaah. Children use the punctuation marks from previous packs with their sentences (i.e. the period and the question marks) as well.
- Math: tally marks worksheet
- Sight word work using snowball word cards
- Art: build a snowman activity
- Handwriting practice (English and Arabic)
- Work with content words
- Two pieces puzzles that focus on the concepts: big and small (for children 33 - 36 months old)
- Four piece puzzles for children to work on content word recognition.
- Writer's Workshop Activity: Nouns and Verbs (includes sorting activity)
- Sight word cards (you can print these on cardstock, laminate and punch a hold in the upper right hand corner and students can use them for timed (or not timed) practice insha'Allaah or a number of other sight word activities)
- Math work: Subtracting numbers (2,3,4 and 5)
- Writing centre snowy pictures, word cards, and writing prompts.
- And more alhamdulillaah!
Insha'Allaah this quick view of how the subtraction mat in the file is used will be helpful to you.
1). Students place a subtraction problem card (these are in the file) on the mat and the corresponding counters (here the buttons are the buttons for a snowman - black circles made from construction paper).
2). Next they lift the flap (the flap is only an index card that is taped to the top of the mat. Here there are yellow tabs attached (made of construction paper) to help the younger children lift the flap easily insha'Allaah) and they place the correct number of counters in the box under the flap. In the file the image that has the subtraction sign on it is a snow shovel because children can be told that when we shovel snow we move some of the snow out of the way and what is left is less snow than before.
3). Then children close the flap and observe how many counters are left in the box without the flap.
4). Children then place the card that shows the correct solution to the problem in the appropriate box insha'Allaah.
With this unit, you may also wish to include the book, "The Jacket I wear in the Snow" plus the following activities designed to be used with the book: shadow matching activity, mitten matching activity, and the felt board pieces.
**When you click on the above link you may need to download the file in order to see it. A preview may not be available.**
Questions about how to use any of the activities in the pack?
Please leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer as soon as possible insha'Allaah.